Get summer sale ready with DIY expert Craig Phillips
GET SUMMER SALE READY WITH DIY EXPERT CRAIG PHILLIPS AND MAKE THE BEST FIRST IMPRESSION
- One in six Brits would be happy to put in an offer after viewing the property VIRTUALLY - without putting a foot in the front door
- Two fifths of Brits now believe that virtual viewings will become the norm when house-hunting
- The average virtual viewing takes around 26 minutes - during which time prospective buyers would ideally like to see 13 photos and six videos
With property sales looking set to soar this summer following news of the stamp duty holiday, Purplebricks has teamed up with the UK’s favourite DIY expert and first ever Big Brother winner, Craig Phillips, to show the UK how to get homes sale ready.
Interestingly, one in six Brits would consider putting in an offer without setting foot in the front door, being happy to rely on online photos and VIRTUAL viewings. Two fifths of Brits now believe that virtual viewings will become the norm when house hunting, showing that the property market is undergoing a dramatic transformation since the Covid-19 lockdown.
The average ‘virtual viewing’ takes around 25 minutes, during which time prospective owners would ideally like to see at least 13 photos and six videos – with 68 per cent wanting to see every room of the house. Being able to see garden size is also a must for 61 per cent of respondents, while 56 per cent want to get a concept of space and six in 10 want to get a feel of how much work needs doing.
Angela Wallace, Divisional Sales Director at Purplebricks said: “The emerging trend for virtual sales means it's never been more important to sell your property online. And with home buyers priorities changing, showcasing your space is just as important.”
The study also revealed that despite fears the housing market would stall following the pandemic, more than half of respondents said they are just as likely, or even more likely, to move to a new house - with the latest stamp duty holiday’s no doubt adding extra appeal.
Were respondents to consider a purchase now - 47 per cent consider a garden the most important, with three quarters believing it’s important that a rear garden works as a multifunctional space. It also emerged that 44 per cent of homebuyers would now be looking for space both inside and outdoors which they can maximise to its full potential - with 37 per cent looking to escape city life for the country.
A bold front door, an outdoor garden bar and vertical wall garden were considered the most appealing DIY projects by those polled. But just 47% reckon they have the DIY skills to create basic improvements to their home.
Luckily the UK’s favourite handyman, Craig Phillips, is on hand to show us how easy it can be to boost your home’s appeal.
Craig said: “A lot of people have surprised themselves since lockdown with unexpected DIY skills. The trick is to have the right tools and keep it simple. If you want to boost the appeal of your home, then use colour and get creative with the space you have.”
Here, Craig shows how to create some of the nation’s top DIY projects - as chosen by those polled - to get your home summer sale ready. Whether you’re a DIY pro or a total novice, Craig’s how-to videos and guide have simple steps to follow to create head-turning projects that will make your home stand out from the crowd.
Top tips from the property experts for getting your home summer sale ready:
- Boost your kerb-appeal. People will judge your home by how it looks from the front so make sure it’s not only tidy, but stands out from the crowd with creative use of colour and plants
- Colour is King. A bold front door can make your house stand out on the street. Also consider a window planter or hanging baskets with bright, colourful and seasonal flowers to frame your home
- It’s all about the space. Make the most of your outside space. From backyards to gardens, make it a haven for relaxing and a place for entertaining. But don’t forget what’s on the inside counts too. Make sure everything is packed away and that you showcase the potential of your space
- Picture perfect. Make sure all those little jobs are done, that the weeding is up to date, the fence is painted, the hedges are trimmed, and everything is cleared away. Take your own pictures and see how other people will see your home
For Craig’s DIY how-tos, visit @purplebricksuk #getsaleready
For additional information and imagery please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to Editor:
*OnePoll study of 2,000 UK adults, July 2020
Purplebricks is the UK’s leading estate agent and offers customers a transparent and convenient way to buy, sell, or let. Purplebricks gives customers the combined support of Local Property Experts, an online platform and a central customer service team. More information can be found at www.purplebricks.co.uk.